Sunday, February 10, 2019

1 to 1 iPads

     

1 to 1 iPads in the Classroom
Photo from apple.com
        Using iPads in the classroom is very beneficial for all. iPads are an up-to-date piece of technology that interest this generation's children. This post includes my personal experiences with iPads in my second grade classroom. As you read, you will learn my lesson ideas, how these apps work, and my feedback on past lessons. 

        In my experience, I have been able to use iPads throughout the school year with my second grade class. At my school, we have three iPad carts that rotate throughout the school and teachers are able to sign them out. Unfortunately, that does mean we have to rotate through grades 1-5 all year. When I am lucky enough to grab a cart for a few days (or week), my students and I use the iPads as much as possible. I have previously integrated both reading and math lessons on the iPads. I also like using them for whole group games that review current concepts. There are thousands of applications that are relevant to what we are currently working on in class.

        One application that I love using in the classroom is called Kahoot! Students are able to be involved and have a competition. This is a really engaging resource. Kahoot is a website that teachers are able to log on to and set up quizzes. Teachers have to create questions and possible answer choices, as well as, select the correct answer. Students then are able to log on to the Kahoot app and enter the code given on the teacher site. Students will then enter their name and it will pop up onto the teacher's screen. When it is time to begin, a question will be displayed on the teacher's site, which should be projected in a way students can see. They select the corresponding symbol to the answer they believe is correct. After a selected number of seconds, the correct answer will be displayed along with how many students picked each answer. Finally, the students will pop up on the next screen ranked in order of who answered the most correct the fastest.

Check out this video showing exactly how Kahoot works:



        An example of a time I've used this app in my classroom is last year toward the end of the year when we were about to have our final MAP test. MAP is a standardized test our school uses in order to measure student growth. It is taken three times a year. We used Kahoot in order to practice skills and review important concepts that may have shown up on their test. When making this quiz, I viewed MAP skills and practiced tests. I found what was included the most on these resources and used that information to form my questions. I made the quiz and then displayed it on my SMART Board and gave each student their own iPad. They logged on and we began our review game. It was awesome watching the students get super involved and excited to see who was at the top of the leader board. Everyone was smiling and getting many answers correct. Overall, it was a fun, yet meaningful, review/practice.


        Another really awesome application that I've used in my classroom is called Splash Math. This is something I've used in my past years because I currently only teach reading. When I did use this app, the positive student responses I got was incredible. The students were really engaged and excited to be able to "play" this game. Splash Math is a great resource for students to practice their math skills. They are able to log on to their personal account and click the different concepts/main ideas to practice. It is very colorful and interactive with great sound effects. Teachers can also choose to assign various concepts for students to complete. As each level is completed, stars are earned, and students may then use them to buy fun things.

This video gives a great explanation of Splash Math for students:


        Splash Math is a homework resource we have used now for the past few years. Students are able to practice their math skills at home. When we have the iPads in the classroom, one of the apps we use is Splash Math. I assign the concept I want the students working on at that time and encourage them to use paper to help them solve their questions. Students get very excited when they answer the questions correct because the app will cheer them on and award stars.


        Overall, I love using iPads in my classroom when each student is able to have their own device. 1 to 1 technology is extremely beneficial in the classroom for both students and teachers. A goal I have for myself is to integrate more and more technology in my classroom. Think about your classroom and answer the following questions:
  1. What technology have you used in your classroom? 
  2. Are there any resources that you would recommend to other educators? 
  3. What applications do you like and dislike?
Please comment below to share your answers.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Erica for this really great read! I love that you are using iPads in your classroom in ways that are engaging to your students. It is bummer that you do not have iPads for your classroom. Have you ever heard of the site DonorsChoose.org? This is a great site to write grants to have technology or other supplies donated to your classroom. In my first few years of teaching, I had iPads granted to my students! It was really great.

    Kahoot is one of my favorite! (my students, too :)) I love how you use this site for test prep. I think it would be a great way to set a positive mindset to prepare students for these tests. Have you ever used Kahoots that are already created on the site? Also, I have used this site a handful of times, but I am wondering if it can create a data sheet that teachers can use to see what areas students performed well or need to show growth in.

    I am definitely going to look into Splash Math! It looks really great and engaging for students. Have you heard of the site Prodigy? My students LOVE this math game, and it sounds very similar to what you are doing with Splash Math. It is really great because you can assign questions based off of the common core standards and the data reports are very valuable.

    What technology have you used in your classroom?
    1:1 Chromebooks
    Are there any resources that you would recommend to other educators?
    Yes! Prodigy Math
    What applications do you like and dislike?
    I have yet to find an app that I am not a fan of. This might be a weakness of mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about DonorsChoose! That's a really good idea. I'll have to look into that. I've used them before for getting a carpet for my classroom.


      I've never used a Kahoot that is already made on the site. Next time I go to use this resource, I will definitely see what is already made. I'm sure there are some great ones.


      I've used Prodigy in my classroom and the students loved it. The parents of these students were not huge fans because they said it was more of a game than anything. We've had more success with Splash Math because it is less "gamey" and more math based. It is still very engaging especially for the younger grades.


      I love you have 1:1 Chromebooks, that is so convenient. Most apps are pretty great for the class, like you said, I haven't really found any apps that are not my favorite.

      Delete
  2. Hi there!

    Thanks for such an informative post! My district has a 1:1 iPad initiative for grades 3-12. As a 2nd grade teacher, I share an iPad cart with the other 2nd grade class. I think it's such an awesome way to utilize technology and make it a tool for learning!

    The older grades in my school have talked about Kahoot! I never really understood it but after reading your blog, I have a better understanding of it! I may have to utilize it in my own classroom for reviews on concepts in math! I think my students would be very excited about that!

    ReplyDelete